In a tight race, with only percentage points separating first through ninth place (yes, we did need to revert to the tie-breaker second- and third-place choices), the top five books are moving on to the finals.
Anyone who voted (according to the directions–we had an handful who tried to circumnavigate the rules and were disqualified) in the first round is eligible to vote. Even those who did not are still eligible if they have read at least two of the original nominations.
And now, your finalists, in alphabetical order according to the author’s last name:
Liberator by Bryan Davis
A Throne of Bones by Vox Day
Mortal by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee
Prophet by R. J. Larson
Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Congratulations to each of these authors. I think it’s particularly memorable to be in a contest inspired by C. S. Lewis in 2013–the fifty-year anniversary of his graduation to the more solid world.
We still have the business of selecting a winner. As you may recall, the Realm Makers Conference for writers and fans of speculative literature is partnering with CSA and SpecFaith this year. Consequently, on August 2, the first night of the RM conference in St. Louis, SpecFaith webmaster and regular columnist E. Stephen Burnett will make the announcement of and presentations to the winner. This author will receive a commemorative plaque and a modest cash prize supplied by the sponsoring groups.
One more thing. Author Robert Treskillard has designed an e-medallion the winner may display on his or her website and which publishers may wish to turn into stickers for their books.
We’re hoping that this is only a beginning and that as we add sponsors, the cash prize and other perks will grow in years to come.
But now, on to the important business at hand. It is time to vote for a winner. Please follow these rules.
* You MUST have read at least two of the nominations.
* You may vote ONLY ONCE for a first, a second, and a third choice.
* Your second choice and your third choice may not be the same as your first choice.
* Your vote for your second choice and your third choice may not be for the same book.
* You may mark the “none of these” option if you do not have a second or a third choice.
* Second and third choice options will only be considered in the case of a tie.
* Voting ends midnight Pacific time, July 28, 2013.